Lisbon’s Cathedral was not always known by this name and at other times it was called Santa Maria Maior Church. It was built by King Afonso Henriques and dates back to 1150, three years after the city was conquered by the Moors.
Thanks to the three major earthquakes in the capital that damaged the buildings, the Cathedral has undergone several interventions and renovation works over the years and today the way it looks is derived from the mixture of various styles.
One of the most important transformations was the construction of some elements, north of the entrance to the Cathedral, namely: the Chapel of Bartolomeu Joanes, the Dionysian Cloister and a Headland with a deambulatory – the construction of this last element was the responsibility of King Afonso IV in order to serve his entire family pantheon.
The Aljube Museum dates back to the Roman and Islamic period and is housed in the former Aljube prison, which functioned as a political and ecclesiastical prison of Estado Novo between 1928 and 1965.
The Aljube Museum – Resistance and Freedom is dedicated to the memory of the fight against dictatorship and the resistance of those who fought in defence of freedom and democracy.
This church stands on the place where St. Anthony was born before he left for the world as a preacher. The current temple was built in 1767 on the site where a chapel had existed since the 15th century and offers historical elements such as the image of the patron saint, the crypt with his birthplace and the canvas representing Saint Anthony with the most realistic features in living memory.
Santa Luzia Viewpoint has a wide view over Alfama and Tejo River. It allows a magnificent view of the Santa Engrácia Dome, Santo Estêvão Church and the two white towers of St. Miguel Church.
Located behind Santa Luzia Church and quite close to Portas do Sol Viewpoint.
Located in the historic Alfama neighbourhood, it derives its name from the old Porta do Sol, which was part of the Moorish enclosure of Lisbon that used to exist here, but was ruined by the tragic earthquake of 1755.
From Portas do Sol Viewpoint, we can observe some of the most interesting points of the capital as is the case of St. Vicente de Fora Church and the entire traditional and historical Alfama neighbourhood that extends through narrow and crooked streets until it reaches the Tejo River.
Work by the artist Alexandre Farto, better known as Vhils, who projected the face of Amália Rodrigues on Portuguese cobblestones. Together in collaboration with the Lisbon City Council’s cobblers, the work, which is entitled “Calçada”, is a tribute to the greatest Portuguese fado singer in history.
t dates back to a primitive temple, erected in the 12th century, in Romanesque style. Rebuilt in 1733 in baroque style, with a north-south orientation that gave it a greater urban impact, however, thanks to the destruction caused by the 1755 earthquake, it was repaired again, having only opened to worship in 1773.
Also known as Santíssimo Milagre Church, this church is located in the heart of Alfama and has been classified as a National Monument since 1918.
After the revolution of 25 April 1974, there was an explosion in the appearance and political murals and, currently, artistic graffiti is supported by Lisbon City Council.
The Portuguese capital is now recognised as one of the cities with the best urban art, and some local artists, such as Vhils and Bordalo II, have their work spread all over the world.
Mostly dedicated to the universe of Lisbon’s urban song, the Fado Museum opened its doors to the public in 1998 to celebrate the exceptional value of Fado as an identifying element of the City of Lisbon. The Fado Museum celebrates the roots of Fado in the tradition and history of Portugal and also its fundamental role in the affirmation of cultural identity and intercultural exchange between peoples and communities.
The Fountain that is thought to be the oldest in the capital was previously called Chafariz dos Cavalos (Horse Fountain), but after its bronze spouts (the horses’ heads) were stolen by Castilian troops, the Fountain was renamed Chafariz de Dentro (Inside Fountain) due to its location within the walls of the city walls.
One of the oldest fountains in the capital, its origin is believed to date back to Muslim times. Its aesthetic has been altered over the centuries, as a result of the various restructuring works it has undergone. In the 16th century, the fountain was an enclosure with a wall, standing under three arches on columns decorated with the royal coat of arms and two armillary spheres; however, it was in the 19th century that it reached its current aesthetic.
Casa dos Bicos is one of the most emblematic buildings of the Portuguese capital, not only for its interesting name, but also for its original aesthetics. Casa dos Bicos presents a curious architectural style once, starting right from its exterior, the walls are covered with stone trimmed in the shape of a diamond tip; the windows are all distributed in an irregular way and the doors are all of varied shapes and dimensions.
Inside is part of the archaeological collection discovered during the restoration work on the property. The collection includes four Roman salting tanks, part of the Moorish Fence, part of a medieval tower and a section of Mudéjar paving.
Currently, Casa dos Bicos is home to the José Saramago Foundation, whose aim is to promote the literary work of the writer José Saramago.
Note: The meeting point for the Tour is in front of the Dona Maria II Theatre – D. Pedro IV Square Lisbon (38.714758622703926, -9.139723128341679). Our Walking Tours are conducted by specialised guides accredited by Turismo de Portugal.
To complete the Walking Tour you should bring appropriate footwear and a bottle of water. If you need transport within the Lisbon area to the Dona Maria II Theatre, please contact us.
Each Walking Tour has a minimum duration of 3 hours and a maximum duration of 4 hours.