Viewpoint located at the top of the Elevador da Glória, near one of the various entrances to Bairro Alto. This viewpoint provides a beautiful view of the eastern side of the city of Lisbon, particularly the historic districts of Graça, São Vicente and São Jorge Castle.
Next to the balustrade there is a panel of tiles drawing a map of Lisbon allowing the identification of some of the capital’s places. The best views come at dusk when Lisbon and the Castle slope is illuminated.
The name given to the square derives from the statue erected in its centre, commissioned in honour of the Portuguese poet Luís de Camões, author of the great work, the Lusiads. In the central part of the statue are positioned eight other statues all referring to other great personalities of Portuguese literature, among them, Fernão Lopes.
In Chiado, a small churchyard accessed by a staircase was built Nª Sra. do Loreto Church or “Igreja dos Italianos” in 1518. Recovered after the earthquake of 1755, it is a church covered with marble from Italy and decorated with stone statues of the Evangelists and the Apostles. The main chapel, consisting of a vaulted ceiling, houses the image of Our Lady of Loreto flanked by 12 chapels with paintings and baroque decorations.
This parish church was inaugurated in 1708 and, after being destroyed by the 1755 earthquake, was rebuilt by the architect Manuel Caetano de Sousa in the 18th century. On the late Baroque façade, six Corinthian pilasters accentuate the verticality of the church. The ensemble is crowned by a triangular pediment from the mid-19th century. The Church of Nossa Senhora da Encarnação is part of the so-called “Pombaline Lisbon”, classified as a Set of Public Interest.
On the terrace of the café “A Brasileira“, you will meet the most famous Portuguese poet – Fernando Pessoa. The bronze statue of Fernando Pessoa is one of the great attractions in the Chiado area. The connection between Fernando Pessoa and “A Brasileira” is mainly because it was in that café that the writer consumed his traditional absinthe, the well-known drink of writers.
Recognised by Guinness World Records as the oldest bookstore in the world in operation, Bertrand Chiado Bookstore, perfectly fulfils the motto “antiquity is a post” since the sale of books in this place has been going on for 285 years.
Bertrand Chiado Bookstore is a peculiar bookshop because it is much more than a shop that sells books. It is a space where you can browse through its seven rooms and discover who are the authors that patronise them. Entering Bertrand Chiado Bookstore is like entering deeply into the History and Literature of Portugal.
Included in the Chiado area is Carmo Square. In this square, the ruins of the Carmo Convent, built in the 14th century and where the Carmo Archaeological Museum is currently located, still stand. Right in front of the convent is the Carmo Fountain (1771), supplied by Águas Livres Aqueduct through Loreto Gallery.
Side by side with the Carmo Convent is the Carmo Quartel, belonging to the Republican National Guard, which played a very important role during the 1974 Revolution, since it was the refuge and main stage of the Revolution. To perpetuate this moment, there is an inscription on the floor of the square dedicated to Salgueiro Maia.
On the opposite side of the Convent is the old Valadares Palace, a building erected on the site where the first Portuguese University was founded, before being transferred to Coimbra.
Between Carmo Convent and the Valadares Palace stands the access gate to the Santa Justa Elevator, which connects Carmo Square to Baixa Pombalina, namely Rua do Ouro or Rua Áurea.
Garrett Street is the centre of Chiado, Lisbon’s intellectual hub during the 20th century, connected by Chiado Square and Carmo Street. Around it, you can find some places that must be visited, such as Nacional São Carlos Theatre, São Luiz Theatre and Trindade Theatre; the most famous bookstores of the city, such as the old Bertrand Bookstore in Chiado; the Grémio Literário de Lisboa and the centenary coffee shop “A Brasileira“.
Carmo Street is located in downtown Lisbon and begins at the intersection of Garrett Street with Nova do Almada Street, ending at Rossio Square. It is a relatively small artery but of great importance thanks to its proximity to areas such as Lisbon Downtown, Chiado and Bairro Alto. After the Chiado Fire of 1988, the street went through a period of decay, however, it has been revitalized since the reopening of the old Armazéns do Chiado, in the form of a modern shopping centre.
Santa Justa Elevator, inaugurated in 1902, is one of the great attractions of Lisbon. This structure built in cast iron and enriched with filigree work is a public transport system that in 2002 was classified as a National Monument.
Áurea Street, commonly known as Ouro Street, is one of the arteries of Baixa Pombalina. Its name derives from the fact that many of the establishments that used to settle there were connected to the gold business.
Augusta Street is the most famous street in downtown Lisbon. Augusta Street, which begins at its famous triumphal arch, connects Comércio Square to Rossio Square. This street has a high concentration of commercial spaces, many of them with international brand names. Since the 1980s, Augusta Street has been closed to traffic and is only accessible to pedestrians. It is often occupied by street artists, craftsmen and street vendors.
Augusta Street Arch is the triumphal arch situated in the northern part of the Praça do Comércio and which begins the famous Augusta Street. The sculptures at the top of the arch represent Glory, Genius and Valor. The Latin inscriptions read: “The Virtues of the Greatest”, praising the Portuguese heroes of the Age of Discoveries, such as the strength and resilience of the Portuguese people. The figures on the lower level are outstanding figures in our country’s history: Marquês de Pombal, the navigator Vasco da Gama, the military man Nuno Álvares Pereira and the leader Viriato.
This work respects the Pombaline reconstruction period and gave continuity to the primitive Terreiro do Paço, which at the time of the Discoveries was classified as one of the most important places for the life of Lisbon and also the city’s main exit to the sea.
It was a project of the architect Manuel da Maia who, when rethinking the entire restoration of the old quay destroyed by the 1755 earthquake, decided to keep the maritime tradition visible in the Square, and so Cais das Colunas was born, offering an incredible panoramic view over the Tejo River. In the centre of the Comércio Square is the equestrian statue of King José I, executed by Joaquim Machado de Castro, the first equestrian statue erected in Portugal. French in influence, this work is considered one of the most beautiful equestrian statues in all of Europe, besides being the oldest public statue in Lisbon and the country. Comércio Square is currently classified as a National Monument.
Note: The meeting point for the Tour is in front of the Dona Maria II Theatre – D. Pedro IV Square Lisbon (38.714758622703926, -9.139723128341679). Our Walking Tours are conducted by specialised guides, accredited by Turismo de Portugal.
To complete the Walking Tour you should bring appropriate footwear and a bottle of water. If you need transport within the Lisbon area to the Dona Maria II Theatre, please contact us.
Each Walking Tour has a minimum duration of 3 hours and a maximum duration of 4 hours.